Friday, January 14, 2011

Currently Reading: True Grit

I'm currently reading True Grit by Charles Portis.



That may seem like it is out of left field, given my ongoing predisposition towards science fiction in general, and Philip K. Dick in particular. But I also realized a long time ago that nothing exists in a vacuum, and what is hot in film and television definitely influences what I read. On the other hand, I wish I could get all that time back I wasted as a 20-year old reading Star Trek novels, which, let's face it, are pretty much on par with fan fic. (Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what you like. It's just my regret, and my interpretation.)

For the record, I haven't read that many westerns. I did read Lonesome Dove in college, and that is one hell of a read. I highly recommend it. As for the sequels, I read the first one, it didn't really do anything for me, and I haven't gone back to that well since. I think I would like to read Riders of the Purple Sage someday. And I have The Oxbow Incident on order. I saw the movie once twenty years ago and it was pretty good.

Also for the record, my preferred genres include, in no particular order, science fiction, science, fiction/literature, history and spy fi. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

What do you like to read? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read any Cormac MacCarthy? It's pretty bleak stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just The Road, although I have seen the movie version of No Country for Old Men. That's the kind of book that I probably wuldn't seek out, but if I found it in the bargain bin I'd get it on sight. Yeah, bleak doesn't begin to describe it. But still pretty fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete