Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wednesday's Post

Today's regularly scheduled post has been delayed until tomorrow. It seems someone ran into a telephone pole out near the house yesterday, and as a result our internet was down most of the day. In turn, I was unable (and frankly, after dealing with the phone company, not in the mood) to write up today's post. The topic is a good one though, and will appear in this space tomorrow.

In the meantime, (other than the blog) what was the last thing you read? It can be anything. Answers in the comments.

The last thing I read was an issue of DC's Starman from 1994. (I couldn't sleep at 4:00 this morning.)

6 comments:

  1. Just finished re-reading "Traveling with Pomegranates" a memoir from Sue Monk Kidd (author of The Secret Life of Bees) and her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor. Really interesting exploration of Greek mythology, feminine deities and spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last two finished were Game Change and before that The Remains of the Day. Both excellent. Currently on Angela's Ashes, and some kid-lit.

    Oh, and volume 4 of Planetary just arrived in the mail today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Bethany. Thanks for stopping by! (I was going to feel especially lame if no one said anything.) I hadn't heard of that before. Greek mythology is intriguing, and it sounds like it has a really interesting take on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, you know I love me some Planetary. I'm working through the second volume of Absolute Planetary right now. So very amazing. And the downside is, I really can't take the Fantastic Four very seriously anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remains of the day was also good. I am reading the new issue of The Atlantic as well as Medium Raw by anthony Bordain ... don't give me no greef. I needed a way to cool the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished "The Tempest Tales," by Walter Mosley, in which a 30-something man from Harlem dies and is sentenced to Hell...but refuses to go. Instead, he argues that what have been recorded as sins were things he did for survival or for love. He's sent back to Earth in a new body with an "accounting angel" whose job is to convince Tempest of his sins and get him to accept damnation. Taking on a human form to accompany Tempest back to Earth, the angel gains a new understanding of humankind and encounters a nasty manifestation of the Devil.

    Not bad...although I probably wouldn't have gone for it if my mom weren't so darned enthusiastic about it.

    ReplyDelete