Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Arthur C. Clarke

Tomorrow is Arthur C. Clarke's birthday.

Clarke may be the author I can credit with giving me a love for science fiction. (Well, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Gene Roddenberry too, but this is a blog about reading, so ACC gets the nod for written science fiction.) I've read all four of the 2001 books (they all have their moments), and part of The Lost Worlds of 2001, the out of print account of the making of the book and film. The short story The Sentinel is particularly good.

I've also read The Songs of Distant Earth, The Hammer of God, Childhood's End and The Last Theorem. Rendevous with Rama is the only book of his currently on my shelf waiting to be read.

Clarke died in 2008.

Favorite Quote: "For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something." - from 2001: A Space Odyssey

UPDATE: The Reader had its 500th visitor last night. Thanks for visiting, everybody! I hope you are having as much fun reading it as I am writing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment