Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reading and Writing Goals 2011

Every year I try my hand at some ambitious laundry list of goals for the coming year. This year, I've decided to come up with some more moderate goals for the next year. These are my reading and writing goals for 2011.

1.) Write six short stories. That's right, one every other month. I know it doesn't sound moderate, but that is 50% of my original proposal of one every month. Possibly even using one or more of Max Barry's suggestions.

2.) Read one short story a week, from January until May.  Frequent readers know I've been stockpiling short story collections for this very purpose. I've found even more collections since my last post. Hello, Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger. One a week is certainly do-able, and I'm not going to freak out if I don't.

3.) Read one novel or book every month from June until December. This is where I got in trouble in the past. You should see my reading goals for 2009. I identified no less than a dozen books to read and left plenty of wriggle room to read more. In some alternate universe, I'm still reading in 2009. Realistically, for 2011, I figure this means one book by Ian Fleming (probably Thunderball, which was on the 2009 list!), one by Stanislaw Lem (probably Solaris), and one from my ongoing "read everything I was supposed to but didn't" project (to be determined).

4.) Finish The Stand. If I keep to my projected pace, that shouldn't be a problem.

5.) Use Amazon less and my local library more. 'Nuff said.

6.) Keep up with the Reader. I've enjoyed writing it, and hope to do so for the forseeable future, trying to keep to a M-W-F schedule, with a QOTW every Saturday.

That's pretty much it. I want to read, but I also want to be realistic about it.

And a very happy (early) New Year, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. All appear to be attainable. We need a nice Twin Peaks like diner so we can have coffee and pie and discuss The Stand when you are done. I don't know what it is about that book that I enjoy so much but it is one of my fav.'s

    ReplyDelete