Thursday, January 27, 2011

1,000

...or, Wednesday's Post, postponed.

First, congratulations to True Grit, Inception and Toy Story 3 for earning a boatload of Academy Award nominations yesterday. Of course, I reviewed True Grit here and had a thing or two to say about Inception here. I like it when the movies I've seen are the ones recognized by the people in the industry as being exceptional, and while I'd have to think pretty hard about it to be sure...I was going to say that was 100% of the films I saw this year, but after thinking about it, those are only half the films I saw this year. I did see at least three others. (Despicable Me, Megamind and Tangled, if you are keeping score. The Junior Reader [age, 4] picks most of our films.)

Second, I read something very, very interesting yesterday over at one of my favorite websites, io9.com. While I've mostly focused on books, I read just about anything made out of letters forming words that barely qualify as English.

Case in point.

Anyway the aforementioned website has been going nuts on Battlestar Galactica this week, the groundbreaking tv drama that aired on Sci Fi Channel from 2003 to 2010. On Tuesday, they posted the series bible for BSG. It was a really neat read, and anyone who is interested in how tv is produced, and especially anyone who liked Galactica should give it a read. (Anyone who hasn't seen the whole show beginning to end probably shouldn't read it, IMHO. Too Spoilery.)

I'm not going to go into anything spoilerific here, either, but let's just say that when you read a couple of the character sketches, it's a little disappointing where their character arcs ultimately led.

It is a complete rebuke of everything wrong with Science Fiction on tv in 2003, namely the Star Trek legacy shows. (The original still kicks @$$ when you look at it in the context of its time.)

The bible is good stuff in its entirety, though. Give it a read.

Finally, today The Rochester Reader is likely to surpass just (9:28 am CST) surpassed 1,000 visitors since I started it in November. Thanks for stopping by. I mean it. (Especially the 14 hits I received from Belize this week. Seriously.) It is humbling to think that that many people have ended up here, much less that anyone would enjoy themselves enough to come back!

Thank you! See you next time.

Now go read something today already!
rr

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your achievement. Keep it up.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, at first I was dying to know the identity of the anonymous RR because, you see, I work at your local public library. "Does the RR ever visit the library?" I wondered. "What does he think of us?" But now...NOW...I just want to talk with you about how amazing BSG is/was/forever will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello, Anonymous. I have been meaning to go to the library and get my library card. (Mrs.RR would especially like it if I did, as it would probably mean a significant reduction in my Amazon addiction.) It has been tough finding the time, but now that the holidays are over and life has returned to normal, I may have to stop in this weekend. Hope to see you then. -rr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on reaching a grand. I have been away for I have not been one of the recent readers ... but I was one of the first few. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't have a library card?! Why, I never! :) We'll be happy to get you set up. Just bring in a photo id and something with your current address. Before you trek over here in the snow though, check this website and make sure you're in our district...http://www.sangamoncountyclerk.com/Elections/Vote/WhereDoIVote.aspx Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already did! I was there on Saturday! I was going to ask around, but then I chickened out. I will be back at some point in the near future though. I will be sure to wear my black 1984-inspired INGSOC t-shirt. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, don't come out today...we are closed, closed, closed. I'm glad you made it official over the weekend! Did anyone tell you about our downloadable ebooks? (http://www.libraryonthego.org) Or that you can request books from over 160 libraries in the area and pick them up at our (your) library? (http://hip.rpls.ws/ipac20/ipac.jsp?profile=rocproc#focus) Just something to keep you busy, in case you too are snowed in today!

    ReplyDelete